Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sometimes it's about more than your physical wellness.

This weekend, as the first of the few weekends I have free of assignments, I have taken the time out that I should have taken months ago - and definitely on a regular basis.
___________________________
nour·ish  [nur-ish, nuhr-] verb (from dictionary.com)

1.  to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth.
2.  to cherish, foster, keep alive, etc.: He had long nourished the dream of living abroad.
3.  to strengthen, build up, or promote: to nourish discontent among the workers; to nourish the arts in one's community.

___________________________

Nourishment is not as simple as eating a macrobiotic, organic, fruitarian diet (though that doesn't sound very simple to me!).  Nourishment is as much about nutrition as it is about nurturing, and fostering a state of well-being.  And frankly, this weekend proved one thing to me - that I need to take better care of myself.  Not better care of my medical conditions, or my waistline - but me.
When I was trying to work out how I achieved this, I googled "nourish your soul".   I found a great article here, which gave these tips to nourish yourself:
Seek out beauty.  Whether you find beauty in nature or in a gallery, take some time to actively seek out beauty and inspiration.  Practice being fully present and taking in the good.
Find a new book that feeds your soul.  Spend some time browsing in a bookstore and seeing what calls to you.  Find a beautiful, peaceful place to relax and read.
Turn off your computer and television for an entire day.  We often don’t realise how much the media influences our consciousness until we have some breathing room.
Do something out of the ordinary.  Visit a new part of town that you’ve never seen before. Try out a new yoga or dance class.  New influences and experiences spark our creativity and feed our soul.
Say NO to something that is draining your energy and distracting you from what is really important.
Beautify your home. Do some early spring cleaning & make your living environment as comforting and calming as possible.  A clean, beautiful environment supports a clear, calm mind.
Write in a journal. Spend some time in dialogue with your soul.  Making time to listen to our inner wisdom often leads to new insights and a broader perspective.
Take time to do nothing but relax. Take a hot bath with essential oils.  Light some candles.  Listen to your favourite music.  You deserve it.
Funnily enough, these were almost exactly the things I did this weekend.  Nourished myself by indulging in some good food, good wine and great company, getting some vitamin D whilst taking a walk with a friend, laughing with old friends on one of our all-too-infrequent catch-ups, and taking some alone time to rest, relax, recuperate and prepare for the week ahead.  I had a (little) spring clean - I am all too aware what a toll cleaning and cooking takes on my body! - lit some candles around the house, and spent the afternoon on the couch with my kindle.   I spent the lion's share of the weekend without my computer on - after weeks of it barely being off. 

Sage advice, right there.

I had a fantastic weekend - though they are never long enough, I feel as though I have nurtured and nourished my soul enough in the past 48 hours to get through another week.   And though my body may not be at its best, I feel as though I am in the right head space to conquer the challenges that the next few days will bring.  I head into another Monday with a smile on my face, a song in my heart - and a promise to myself that I will take the time to nurture my soul on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment