Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Move it, or lose it - sometimes.

Even after eleven years, I am still learning new things about this disease.  I am constantly learning new things about the way it affects my body, and what influence the things I do has on my body.

I've heard many, many things about the influence of diet and exercise.  Apparently going vegan has its benefits - but of all the things in my life, food is where I derive the most pleasure.  So going vegan is out.

Exercise.  Not one of my favourite things to do.  Well, since netball and tennis were lost to me, anyway.  But I have learned that when my body is reasonably good, the best thing I can do is to keep it moving.  Even when it's turning bad, and going downhill, my body needs to keep moving as much as possible in order to keep it moving.  Even sitting down for a lunch break is bad news!

It surprises me, now that I know I need to keep moving when I'm able, that at some point the only way to get any relief is to stop.  Stop moving altogether - to the point where leaving bed is limited to using the bathroom and getting a drink from the kitchen.  Sometimes I find it incredibly difficult to know which way to go, whether to make myself keep moving, or to admit it's time to stop.  

Oddly enough, my chocolate baby knows.  Her super-kitty sense seems to know when it's time for her mummy to stop - instead of kneading me, or taking forever to settle, she simply snuggles into my lap and will lick at my hands or feet if the joints are inflamed.  If she does this, she wins (as she gets a mummy at home all day who is capable of little more than cuddling) - but funnily enough, she only does it when I am on the brink of carrying on or calling it quits.  Pets are funny little creatures - they know what's going on, and certainly do their best to "help".  

So tonight, as I have been typing, my kitty companion has been curled on my lap between my tummy and the laptop - no movement, just curled up and content.  Question is, how will she wake me in the morning?  By using me as a human trampoline or by licking my hands?  I think I'll leave my fate up to my furry barometer.  She never lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment