Sunday, May 11, 2014

Rheumatoid Ninjas

You know how stealthy ninjas can be.

Turns out my RA can be just as stealthy.

After almost 5 months of perfect joint health, I was feeling a million bucks. I saw my rheumatologist, who declared me to be his little miracle. He was so darn excited that he had seen me a couple of months prior to my appointment, walking down the street, with the confidence and gait of a fit, healthy woman. I was back in the gym and feeling really good about making some positive changes health-wise. Oh, if only he could see me today!

So late last week, my left shoulder started to ache. The next day, my ankles felt like they were seizing up. By the following morning, my hips and neck were agonisingly painful, and my hands, feet, fingers and toes all swollen and excruciating. Boom. Without warning, it's as though my drugs have just forgotten to do their thing! By tonight, there is pretty much a 2% chance of my making it to work tomorrow. And that's being optimistic!

I've never taken my health - good or otherwise - for granted, but my word a flare is a whole lot harder to fathom when you've had a relatively good run! Nonetheless, the break from poor health means I have more in the bank to fight back. And fight I will...


No comments:

Post a Comment