Monday, May 11, 2015

Twelve months on...

I've been thinking about posting for a while now - clearly I have been busy over the past 365 days! - I guess it was a combination of not wanting to look the gift horse in the mouth, and not really believing things were as they are. But more about that in a minute.

The past year has been a bit up and down - I contemplated reducing my work hours, realised I needed a second job to pay for medical expenses, finished a post-grad degree, peaked and crashed (many times over) courtesy of huge doses of steroids, and had one of the best weekends of my life as a bridesmaid in the wedding of two of my favourite people on the planet. If this disease has only taught me one thing, it's that it's the dips of the rollercoaster that let us truly appreciate the highs.

The newest high, though, has been a new drug. Stepping away from my monthly appointment with the infusion chair, and taking a tablet twice a day, has been liberating. Better still, it seems to be working brilliantly (so far, can't jinx it) and aside from some pretty horrendous nausea I am a happy woman.

So what next? Well, tablets mean I might finally get a break away from the chair to travel (once I accumulate some more holiday pay!); and I am really enjoying being less limited by pain and stiffness - the world is my oyster.

If this post finds you on the descent or the dip of your rollercoaster, hang in there. Some days I have wondered why we persist - but brighter days are ahead. New research leads to new developments leads to new opportunities - and you never know which one will come knocking at your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment